Willie Smokey Glover Dr, Macon, GA 31201
The Second Oldest Minor League Baseball Park in the United States.
2019 AGC Build Georgia Award First Place
Luther Williams Baseball Field Renovations
The First Baptist Church of Christ began in 1826, shortly after the founding of a frontier town called Macon, Georgia. From humble beginnings, the church grew rapidly, occupying four different sites in downtown Macon during the congregation’s first six decades. On May 15, 1887, the church family entered its present home, a lovely Gothic sanctuary at the “top of Poplar” street, situated on a hilltop overlooking the city.
Central City Park was built to host the Georgia State Fair, and became the fair’s permanent home in 1871.The Round Building housed many of the fair’s exhibits. In 1904 the Round Building was destroyed by fire, but was rebuilt that same year. The Bandstand served as a gathering place, notable for speeches and music performances. In Oct. of 1871 former Confederate President Jefferson Davis addressed former Confederate troops from the Bandstand and in 1909 President William Howard Taft gave a speech from the Bandstand.